Are You Playing Too Small?
One Thursday evening, on the way home from Bible study, I remembered that I’d run out of eggs. There’s a Walmart that I pass between the church and home, so I decided to stop there.
As I looked at the egg prices, I rolled my eyes a little, mainly because I was accustomed to paying less. As I went to grab the half dozen, I could hear God say, “Grab the big one.”
Now, I was thinking that they’re just eggs and that God couldn’t possibly care what size carton I bought. As I completed my thought, He said it again, “Grab the big one.” So, of course, I did. When I got to the self-checkout and scanned my items, the 18 count carton of eggs rang up almost a dollar cheaper than the listed price that I was rolling my eyes at. Had I not been obedient, I would have missed out on the surplus.
The point of this lesson wasn’t that I should always buy the larger carton of eggs. But, that as children of God, He wants us to go for the “big one.” He places “big” desires, dreams, and goals in our hearts so that we can aspire to reach them, but it takes faith for us to step out and just “grab” them.
God showed me, through the simple process of buying eggs, how I am much more comfortable with going for the “smaller carton” because it seems more “cost effective”. Meaning, it takes less out of my budget – or less risk for failure, embarrassment, or disappointment.
In life, that translates to me going for the smaller goals all the time because they seem more attainable. I let fear rule instead of faith.
We must learn to trust God enough to grab the big one. Yes, you write blog posts, but God called you to write the book. Maybe you enjoy working for Starbucks and leading others, but God is calling you to own a coffee shop. It could be that you are really good at your job and assisting others with their jobs and a position has opened up. Is God calling you to apply and move up although you feel you are under-qualified?
I have an app on my phone called “Sprinkle of Jesus.” Each day, a quote or word of encouragement pops up on my screen at a random time. One day, my phone dinged and I read, “If God put the desire in your heart, He has every intention of meeting it.”
SO, WHAT’S THE PLAY CALL?
In this new year, go ahead and take that risk that is going to catapult you into the position that God has set aside just for you. Trust Him to groom and nurture the gifts and desires that He has placed inside of you. He is only waiting for you to give Him full reign. So, here are a few play calls to help you take that next step:
- Go for it. It’s time now, for you to step away from the fear that once caused you to live in that comfort zone, and move by the faith that will allow you to be all that you are called to be. “Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 3:13-14
- Let “God-fidence” overrule your insecurities. That is, let your confidence be in Christ because it is in Him that you will be capable of fulfilling your purpose. “It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man.” Psalms 118:8
- Believe in yourself! God gave you the passion and drive that you have because He trusts you. You got this because He’s got you! “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.” Philippians 4:13
- Get to work. Yes, it is important to have faith, but you must also put in the work in order to cause that faith to move. “For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.” James 2:26
- Trust that God has given you these big dreams because He has a created a big picture for them to fit into. “For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.” Isaiah 55:9
So, this new year, no need for resolutions – just go for it!